Here is one way of cooking it. My family is divided 2/2 about the likability of this dish. Not everyone likes aniseeds with beans.
Beans - 1/4 kg
sombu/aniseed - 1/4 tbsp
green chillies - 2
roasted peanuts - 3 tbsps
oil - 1 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
urad dal - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - 1 sprig
salt to taste
1. String the beans & chop them.
2. Put the chopped beans in a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle about 3 tbsps of water. Cover with microwave safe lid.
3. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
4. First grind together the aniseed and green chillies then add the peanuts and grind. No need to add water.
5. Add this ground mixture and salt to the beans. Mix well.
6. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
7. (Do the tempering in a kadai and add to the beans.)
7. In a kadai put the oil add the mustard, when it splutters, add the urad dal - when the urad dal changes colour add the curry leaves. Turn off the heat immediately. Add to the beans and mix well.
Cooking Term: Tempering - is the English term for thaalipu, thadka, poppu...
1. substitute the peanuts with coconut.
2. in step 5 mix in chilli flakes & grated coconut instead of the green chillies - aniseed - peanut mixture.